We had so much fun at last year’s Zombiepalooza that we’re doing it again! We want you to creep us out, make us laugh, and generally just have an awesome time making your own Zombie flick! This year will be especially poignant since the film world recently lost the father of the zombie film genre, George A. Romero.
George Romero – February 4, 1940 – July 16, 2017
We learned a few things from watching the film Zombieland.
Pay attention to the rules!
Zombieland Rule #16: Opportunity Knocks – And whenever it does, make sure you answer.
We know that there are zombie aficionados out there – we’ve got an opportunity for you to get creative and tell your own Zombie story – who knows – you may save someone’s life! Make us a Zombie film! Films should be from 1 – 5 minutes in length. You can make this film on any type of video camera, including your phone!
Theme: Zombies – use your imagination – comedy, survival, how Zombies got here, Zombies can be our friends . . . you think it up!
Required element: Each film must use the following prop: a toilet bowl brush. It must be visible in the film.
Give your film a cool Zombie-ish name!
All films should be appropriate for all audiences. Each film will be pre-screened and if it is deemed inappropriate, it will not be accepted for screening. We’ll call you if this happens.
Once you sign up to participate, we’ll tell you how to submit your film.
Zombieland Rule #29: The Buddy System – The more, the merrier. Never go it alone.
Hey – you can go it alone, but we also recommend employing the buddy system – so you can submit as a team.
Zombieland Rule #1: Cardio – The faster you run, the further away you can be from a zombie.
Get going folks! Tell us you’re participating by emailing: firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information by September 8th, 2017
Name / Address / Phone / Email (If you are making a film as a group, please include all team member names and emails and designate a team captain.)
All films are due to The Cary Theater by October 6, 2017. Once you let us know you’re participating, we’ll give you the full details.
Zombieland Rule #2: The Double Tap – Never assume a zombie is dead. Always make sure with a clean shot to the brain.
COVER YOURSELF: IMPORTANT RULES!
- All entrants under the age of 18 will require a parent or guardian’s signature to participate.
- All costs associated with the creation of the film are the film maker / film team’s responsibility.
- All music used in the films must be original or you must provide proof of permission to use the music. There are websites that you can obtain free music on – find them! No stealing allowed!
- You must have permission from all parties involved in creating the film. Permissions are the film maker’s responsibility. Waivers are a good idea – they cover you in case of accidental Zombie attacks and the like.
- The Cary Theater and Zombiepalooza should be included in the credits.
- We love humans and animals! Any film that results in the death and or mutilation of an animal will be booted out. (We figured we didn’t need to say this about humans).
- You must not put your film out for the public to see prior to the screening at The Cary Theater (keep it under wraps!)
Zombieland Rule #32: Enjoy the Little Things – It’ll help you keep your sanity.
Hey – did we tell you there’s a cool prize! Voting will take place during the screening on the 27th and the audience will choose the winner of Zombiepalooza 2017! The winners will receive cool trophies and the top vote getter will win an awesome prize!
Zombieland Rule #4: Wear Your Seatbelt – There will already be enough to worry about, what with the living dead running around. Make sure you’re buckled in secure, just in case.
If you are new to filmmaking, we’ve gathered a few resources for you. Just some basic tips to get you started. If you are already a filmmaker – Yeah! You don’t need to read this section!
Youtube videos: Tips for shooting video on iPhone
Youtube video: Tips for shooting video on iPhone using iMovie
Articles: Tips for beginning filmmakers
So, get to work! Let us know that you want to participate: