This building was once home to the town’s first indoor movie theater, also named The Cary, built in 1946 by Paul Thomas Chandler, which hosted live performances as well as films. It was also used as a clothing store, Cary Clothiers, an auto parts store and a recording studio.
The Town of Cary purchased the 7,000 sq. ft. property in July 2011. The building was renovated and expanded over a period of 13 months to become a multi-use cultural facility with a focus on digital arts, including film, and youth and amateur theater and music. The three-story addition was constructed adjacent to the theater to provide additional support space and the potential for community and commercial uses, including rental/lease space. The renovated theater opened to the public in February 2014.
Located in the heart of Downtown Cary, the theater renovation is part of the Town of Cary’s downtown redevelopment and revitalization efforts.